6.14.2007

Fat Fuck/ big peice of shit update

  • So the fat bike tourer is definitely just a scam artist. He's not even a bike tourer but a homeless guy that traded his shopping cart up for a bicycle. I was sitting around camp back on the day before Big Sur when this rider from Seattle rolled up and made conversation. He started talking about how one day he met a biker who claimed to have numerous holes in his tire and had his bike bag ripped off with his money in it and now he was broke. Same exact story he told the German couple while finishing off a six pack and the same story he told the New Zealander while scamming a free tube. I don't think he ever got around to telling me about getting ripped off, probably because I was trying to ignore him. Anyway the kid offered Fat Fuck twenty bucks and when he did, Fat Fuck asked if he could make it forty and then he would mail it back to him in a few days when he got to a bank or something. OH man I was rollin'. So the kid gave him another twenty and asked for his home address. Fat Fuck wrote down that his name was Micheal and he lived in Canada. He told me that his name was Ian and he was from Australia. He definitely had an Aussie accent. The kid from Seattle also ran into him about sixty miles north of where I did and at a close campground to where the other tourers met him. He's just a guy with a bike that pushes it back and forth to different campgrounds. The kid from Seattle was noticeably offended that he was taken advantage of and it probably didn't help that I found it so funny. But what I would I would give to run into Fat Fuck again with all of the coastal riders holding spare tubes and just whipping the shit out of him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ray,

It's the kid from Seattle who got swindled by the Fat Fuck in the Redwoods. Congrats on finishing your bicycle trip! I got to the border just a couple days ahead of you. You should definitely beat the hobbit down with his own spare bicycle tubes.
Take care and good luck with your ongoing travels.
Vit