8.31.2007

Simultaneously in First and Last Place


So it's been four months now and I'm still on the road. Still amazed by what I see and growing more thankful for my place in this life every day. And the title of this blog is still as relevant today as it was when I first created it. I'm sure some people may have thought it just a cheap reference to a bicycle race of one but what I was really trying to get across was my fear of losing the familiar, safe inertia of my life then and the excitement of throwing it all away coupled with the possibility of something more.

It's all about cultural relativism and possibilities.

By quitting the security of my job and the promise of an education I had just given up my standing in "the race". I was in last place,losing money and choosing to be homeless. But to escape the baggage that comes with that life and to experience something wholly different which could possibly affect the way I went about the rest of my life, I had just jumped into first place. I got out and got on. To be a bit cliche, I was living life and what could be more important and than that. I can't lose in this aspect of my life. I can only come out ahead. And I now admire all of those that due the same, breaking out to interact with the rest of the world. This is what it's all about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That and apparently a bowl of hotsauce with piece of sponge in it.

-Subspace

Anonymous said...

And the sad thing is that most people will never understand what it is you just said.....except a few.

adog

Louise said...

I am awed and stand in admiration for your ability to just JUMP!

You Rock Ray! :]