8.16.2007

Last Day in Vashist





One more wonderful town. Our hotel was again built onto the side of a mountain with a very daunting staircase leading up. The view was at times overwhelming and even at the height of our room we could still hear the running white water below. The first day we trekked down to the river to spend a few hours with our feet in the water, taking it in. We found a very chill roof-top restaurant with a good menu, awesome view, and a big screen T.V. that we watched Spider Man 3 on while chillin' with some drink and asking myself how I got this life.

The next night we hit a new roof-top spot and I ate my fist piece of fish in a while. Trout from the local river (I'm Hoping). We met a local guy who approached us about Paragliding the next day and we woke early to make it happen.

Mel turned it down due to her budget so it was just me up there. We caught a rickshaw about a half hour out of town through some very remote villages and up into the mountains. Once we got to the spot it was another 7oo meter hike almost directly up the face of the mountain. Brutally unworn terrain was the trail and the travel made just a little bit worse by my wearing flip-flops. At least I wasn't carrying all of the chutes up to the top like the grunts.

So forty-five minutes later we reached the top, threw on the harness, strapped in, and ran off the side of an amazing Himalayan mountain. I can't describe how incredible it was to be up there soaring above the tree line, going higher, seeing more and thinking Holy Shit! I'm Paragliding in the Fucking Himalayas!

So then about fifteen minutes later it was over and we landed. Caught the rickshaw back, took a shower, and now we have about four hours 'til our bus leaves for a 12 hour ride to Chandigarh. Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats just darn right amazing! i cant say enough...was it tandem?

but you know, things are starting to get fishy here..its obvious by your new pics that you guys are in washington state or oregon. just come out with it yall!

john

Anonymous said...

Paragliding in the Himalays sounds awesome!! I'm jealous of all your experiences...except the poopy guy. Wouldn't want to see that! The pics are beautiful...it does look like WA. But I belive you! :)