7.21.2007

I'm Here

Well it took around 24 hrs. to get here but it but it was smooth. Andrew met us at the airport with a cab waiting. Thirty minutes of the most terrifying traffic later we made it to the New Delhi Bazaar where we had a room waiting for us. We took a quick minute to unload our gear and we hit the streets.

I can't really say how I feel about this place yet. It's an almost constant sense overload filled with noises, smells, and obstacles. It's everything I was informed that it would be and still unbelievable. Stray dogs, Roaming cows, Litter, filth, Bikes, Rickshaws, cabs, Horns, incessant movement everywhere. All of my attention is devoted to navigating the narrow streets and remaining with my companions. Last night I was nudged/ hit, by an auto-rickshaw and it just seemed like part of the game. Everyone is making there way somewhere and I'm asking myself, "Where"? Nobody stops but to pause and let another move forward and then it's on again.

We got an early start this morning and took in breakfast at a roof top restaurant above an Israeli Guest House. It was still fairly quiet and we could look out upon the city and see the still sleeping citizens on top of other buildings. As the time drew on the sounds became more frequent, the car horns more constant. After breakfast we made our way to the train station to purchase three tickets to Rajastahn for tomorrow morning. We catch the train at 6am and will end up at our destination 5 hrs. later.

I don't feel like I'm in a place mentally, to take photos yet but be sure they will come.

No comments: