7.17.2007

Hustlin' Time

I'm now just four days away from my departure to India. I've been in Florida since July 12th and it strikes me that only seven months ago I stated that, "this will be the last time i come to Florida". Hmmm.... well it wasn't a desire to return to this angry, cracker-ridden state that has me here now but instead a cherished friendship with my traveling partner Melissa. I originally had intended to meet her in Delhi but she had a few reservations about arriving in India alone. Considering India's oppressive treatment of women and reading about the scallywags and rat-scallions roaming the major cities in that country I can't really fault her for any apprehensions about being alone. But I need to make pefectly clear that I in no way wanted to visit this doomed and morally rotten appendage of the States.

But here I am and it's not so bad. I've got books and coffee and a pool. A few treasured friends and sunshine. i recieved a suprise email from an old friend that i hadn't heard from in over a decade and we're actually meeting up later today. He's also still connected to the other guys in our crew so it should turn out to be an awesome reunion.

As an update to my travels, i reconnected with a friend at the Crisis Clinic a few weeks ago and found out that she is going to take an extended vacation in Vietnam. What this means is that once my commrades in India return to the states I'll be free to make my way over to 'Nam, "The Shit", and meet up with Grace for some new travels. Man, the evolution of this adventure just keeps unfolding to include new people and places. It all started with a bike trip down the coast and I wound up staying in San Felipe, Mexico, spending three weeks in Arizona with my family, melting in Florida for a week too long, India, Vietnam, and who knows what else is to come. All of this because I let go of the life I knew for something I didn't. The fear that I felt before leaving has opened me up for experiences that I can only fully understand the meaning of in quiet retrospect. But I'm sure of gleaning immense benfits from these travels even before their had. Fuck Yeah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great Ray, but I'm pretty sure your adventure started with you throwin' a tantrum while some fat Canuck nearly gave himself a heart attack trying to get the lug nuts off my van.