9.30.2009

Ca Phe

The coffee here is pretty great for the most part except that there is no such thing as a free refill. Each order is brewed at your table over your own cup in a mini-filter. And what they usually serve is just a dense, near syrupy liquid that is incredibly satisfying. Maybe that's the reason behind the refill rule. The amount of caffeine being served in every drip. But they shouldn't assume to know my tolerance. Or it could also be due to the extra jolt of energy you get when ordering Ca Phe with milk. They prefer to use sweetened condensed milk which is kind of like white yoo-hoo but sweeter. Actually I haven't seen any fresh milk in this country despite the prevalence of cows. Most places just serve the sweet stuff or boxed milk. One night at dinner I had a craving for the "fresh milk" offered on the menu and what arrived to my table was a slightly watered down glass of sweet milk with some ice-cubes. And the really strange thing was that when I got near the bottom of the glass there were a significant amount of sugar crystals just hanging around waiting to be drank. They actually added sugar to my sugar milk. I really do love it here.















No comments: